Sunday, September 26, 2010

Two Great Discoveries!

One of the main reasons I had to move to Mississippi was because when I was here this summer, I never saw an armadillo. It has been my goal, since, pretty much, June to see one. I was getting nervous that my year here would be up and I still would not have seen one resulting in me staying another year until I met one. My friend, Rachel, said that she wouldn't let that happen and we would spend a whole day just driving around looking for one. Well, I am happy to report that I finally saw one on my way to church last week! Unfortunately, it was a little of the squashed variety, but clearly a genuine 'dillo. It made my day! Rachel was in the car behind me and so she called me to make sure I had seen it. I have yet to see a live one so that will be my next challenge. BTW- they are very unattractive little creatures.
The next discovery was that the doors in Mississippi actually do lock. My roommates and I were discussing how interesting it was that in all the houses we've gone in so far, only the front door has a lock. There are no locks on the bedrooms or the bathroom and we just kind of thought that was strange, but whatever. I have my own bathroom and stuff, so it didn't really matter. Yesterday, we had a couple of friends over and we were talking about this interesting issue with them and they were like, Um, no the doors lock generally you just have to push the knob in and twist. We tried it and it was like magic! It worked. Kinda strange how it took us 5 weeks of living here to learn that doors in Mississippi do know how to lock, it's just the operators that don't.

1 comment: