Thursday, February 23, 2012

Surgery is Done!

Because of a huge blessing, I got to have my surgery yesterday. The morning started with a very important article of clothing turned inside out, but thankfully I figured it out before I left for the surgical center and could've been really embarrassed. Then my mom got confused in the parking structure so we got a little stuck in an awkward position but were able to finagle our way out. For those of you who know of my parking ramp tragedies, I now know where I get it from.
Everything went smooth with the paper work and all that....which that part isn't really hard, you just have to sign your name like 83 times. Then they pretty much called me back as soon as I was done with that. I was really parched and starving by this point since I couldn't eat or drink anything for forever before the surgery.
I change into the hospital gown and lay back on the table and then comes time for the IV. I don't mind needles, but I just can't stand IVs. Getting blood drawn is worse, but Ivs are right up there. Apparantly, I have really small veins. They told me like 30 times that my veins were really small, just like me. I was like, ok, ok, just get it in there and stop poking me! First they tried my left had, no go. So the lady got another lady cause they couldn't even see my little veins and so then they put some numbing stuff in my right hand and then tried the iv there and it didn't work. Then they went for my right elbow pit and that one worked. I was done being poked!!!!
They rolled me on back to the surgery room and had me change beds and then put this mask over me and told me to take three deep breaths. I did and whatever I breathed burned my throat, but they said think of a good dream and I was gone. It was like the best nap ever! I felt so rested afterwards. I'm pretty sure I even dreamed, but I can't remember. It was something about ballet though because they were talking to me about ballet before I breathed in the burning stuff.
My mom said the surgery was only about 25 minutes long. It's pretty exciting because he said it wasn't as bad as it looked on the MRI so that's great news!!! I guess there was some stuff floating around in there that they cleaned out and then they trimmed up the not so great part of the labrum.
Kinda like IVs, anesthesia is not my favorite thing. I don't know how long I was still out after surgery, but it was about 2.5 after the surgery that I was able to leave. He had told my mom I would be ready in about 45 min...haha. I was pretty sleepy when I woke up, so they let me sleep a little while longer. Then I started shaking uncontrollably which is pretty embarrassing and I asked them if it was normal and would just stop at some point. They said that it was normal. Then they helped me get dressed and try to eat somethng, but then I almost threw up. They gave me some anti-nausea stuff and then I perked right up. This time I really remember everything. When I had my wisdom teeth out, I barely remember any of that day, but I remember everything from when I woke up til I went to bed at night.
I'm doing really well now. Using crutches for two weeks. They gave me some pretty powerful pain medicine that I took yesterday. But today I took just some normal pain medicine stuff because my leg hurts, but it's not near as bad as it was during Snow Queen so it really feels pretty great. It more feels like a sore muscle and I can't really lift my leg without my hands. Hopefully I'll be healed soon and back to normal activity!! Thanks for everyone who prayed. It's amazing to see God in control of all of this and the surgery couldn't have gone any better. I am so thankful.
Meow is probably the most helpful in my recovery process. She likes to come sit with me. This is the day of surgery. She missed me all morning :)

1 comment:

  1. Being dehydrated never helps the IV issue, either. It sounds like quite the process. I'm so glad it is all done and I'm praying for super quick healing the rest of the way. You are the queen of fierce endurance of pain!

    ReplyDelete